Pegboards, which are available in various materials such as wood, acrylic, plastic, and metal, are commonly made from wood. Before installing a pegboard, it is important to consider the weight of your tools. A standard sized 3/16 in. wood pegboard can hold approximately 100 pounds, making it sturdy enough for hanging hand power tools, shovels, rakes, hammers, and other work supplies on hooks and shelves.
To achieve optimal results, you will require a helper to mount the pegboard on the wall before arranging your tools.
- Find the area to install the pegboard. This should be a space that is easy to access. Measure the wall to determine the size of the pegboard piece you’ll be using for your tools.
- Locate the studs in your wall with a stud finder and mark them with a pencil. You’ll also want to mark the general outline of where you want to put your pegboard.
- Using a power saw, cut one 8 ft. 1- x 2-in. board to lengths that match the height of the pegboard. (These lengths of wood are the furring strips.)
- Hold the furring strips to the wall with the help of another person. Use a level to ensure the furring strips are straight.
- Attach the furring strips to the wall studs with a power drill and 3/4 -in. wood screws. Drill into the strips at the end of each strip and in the center. Do not attach the wood screws using the pre-drilled holes of the pegboard.
- Mount the pegboard in place and secure it onto the furring strips with 3 in. screws. (Again, do not attach the screws using the pre-drilled pegboard holes.) Many people use lathe screws for this since they provide more support. This is particularly important if you’re working with a large piece of pegboard or if you’re planning to hang heavy tools. You want your pegboard to be firm on the furring strips, so it doesn’t move when selecting tools from or returning tools to your pegboard.
Brilliant Pegboard Ideas to Organize Every Room
Pegboards, also known as peggy boards, consist of a grid-like arrangement of small, evenly spaced holes that can be filled with pegs. These types of displays are commonly seen in retail stores and are increasingly being used in households. They can be hung, mounted, or simply leaned against a wall, allowing for the insertion of pegs or hooks to showcase a variety of items.
It is also simple to style a pegboard. They can be painted and utilized for showcasing photos, jewelry, or additional accessories. Utilize a pegboard in the garage for tool organization, in the craft room to maintain tidy supplies, or in the kitchen for additional storage of cooking gadgets. Pegboards are even suitable for displaying various home decor pieces, similar to the ones mentioned in the following ideas.
Home Office Pegboard Organization
If you want to keep your pens, papers, and office supplies in one place while maintaining an organized workspace, consider using a large pegboard. Additionally, you can enhance the aesthetic appeal by adding vibrant, decorative tissue paper flowers or any other colorful accessory.
Kitchen Pegboard DIY
If you have a small kitchen with not much storage, this is the DIY project for you. By installing a pegboard, you can create more counter or cabinet space by using it to hold all of your kitchen gadgets. To accomplish this, attach small sections of pegboard to the inner walls of your kitchen cabinets so you can hang measuring spoons and other accessories.
Kid’s Pegboard Display
When you are designing your kid’s room, make sure to include a pegboard display on the wall above her desk. This will allow her to efficiently organize her homework, toys, and display art. As she grows older and her taste in decoration evolves, she can effortlessly modify the display to create a more sophisticated exhibition.
Instead of having shelves positioned above your desk, consider incorporating a floor-to-ceiling pegboard into your home office or craft room. Utilize this pegboard for storing small decorative shelves, storage baskets, hooks, and bins that contain your office or craft supplies. Additionally, incorporate mood-enhancing elements such as candles and vibrant plants to assist in maintaining focus and productivity.
Fun Pegboard Creation
Pegboards can serve as more than just functional items; they can be transformed into artistic displays. Enhance the aesthetics of a room by incorporating vibrant decorations, motivational quotes, and soft toys onto a pegboard. Furthermore, utilize the arrangement as a tool for envisioning your goals and aspirations.
Laundry Room Storage
Use this step-by-step guide to discover the process of cutting and hanging a sizable pegboard in your laundry room. Utilize it for the purpose of arranging various laundry supplies such as sorting bins and stain sticks. Additionally, you can utilize it to hang your ironing board.
Garages can quickly become messy, especially if you have a family that enjoys sports equipment and toys. To maintain a neat and tidy garage while ensuring everything is in its proper place, pegboards offer an organizational solution.
Craft Room Storage
To stay organized and ensure easy access, serious crafters utilize an extra large pegboard, bins, and hooks to manage their various materials such as spools of thread, paints, and decorative paper.
Pegboards are effective tools for organizing various items, with a particular advantage in organizing tools. A majority of tools, such as screwdrivers and wrenches, feature handles with holes, making it convenient to hang them on pegboard hooks. Additionally, you can sort them based on size and intended use.
Extra Kitchen Storage
If you’re looking to give your kitchen a new look, think about putting up a pegboard display to help you arrange and store kitchen tools and gadgets. Include a shelf at the highest point where you can place items like vases and jars that normally occupy a lot of space in the cabinets. This way, you’ll achieve a similar feel to having contemporary open cabinets.