This project is very simple and only needs a few materials, so let’s begin!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
To create a wooden board, you will need a dowel rod, a saw, a drill with a spade bit, stain or paint, wood glue, and a speed square.
- Determine the dimensions of the peg rail you want to create.
For this bathroom peg rail, we used (1) 0.5in x 2.5in x 3ft select pine board. You can use two of the same boards for your hallway, as this was a little cheaper than a full 6ft board.
- Next, decide on the thickness, length and number of pegs you’d like to use. You will need to have a saw at home for this step, though if you don’t have one, try using shaker pegs instead!
All of the pegs we used were 4in long, cut down from 0.5in x 36in wood dowel rods.
- Sand the board(s) and pegs.
- Now, you will need to figure out where to place the pegs on your board. Make sure to use a tape measure and speed square to ensure your measurements are centered and evenly spaced.
For a 4-peg rail on a 3ft board, you can make your holes at:
3″ (mounting hole), 6″, 14″, 22″, 30″, 33″ (mounting hole)
For a 12-peg rail across two 3ft boards you can make the following holes on each board:
3″, 6″ (mounting hole), 9″, 15″, 21″, 27″, 30″ (mounting hole), 33″
- Once all of your boards are marked, you can start drilling the peg holes.
We used a 0.5in spade bit on a drill that was the same width the dowels, so your pegs fit in perfectly. If wood isn’t very thick, the tip of the bit did go through the wood, though this didn’t affect how the pegs fit and actually created a nice hole for mounting the board directly to the wall.
*Tip: Add tape to the drill bit that shows where you need to stop drilling so you don’t go too far!
- Add wood glue to one end of the peg and place the peg in the hole. It should fit snug, but you can also use a hammer to gently tap it in all the way.
- Once all of the pegs are in, go ahead and start staining or painting. Make sure to finish with a clear top coat to help protect the surface from everyday use.
- Mount the peg rail to the wall with screws and you’re done!
5 Benefits of Wood Home Decor
If you have been contemplating a decor upgrade for the new decade, and are uncertain about the direction to choose for your home interior, one option to consider is investing in wooden furniture and decor pieces. Particularly if you are not inclined towards dedicating substantial time to planning your theme, wood decor can prove to be a stylish and adaptable choice for your home.
Solid wood furniture maintains its appearance over time, developing an attractive patina. In case of any damage, it can be easily repaired and restored to its original condition. From an environmental perspective, solid wood furniture is significantly more eco-friendly.
There are numerous advantages to using wood decor in homes, including its durability, versatility, cost-effectiveness, and environmental friendliness. In this article, we will delve into five specific benefits of incorporating wooden decor into your home.
1. Wood furniture is durable.
Wood furniture is difficult to destroy and is ranked on a scale called the Janka hardness test. Brazilian walnut and Brazilian teak are two of the hardest wood species on this scale. They are commonly utilized in furniture and flooring and are ideal for households with active members, including children and pets.
2. Furniture made from wood is well-crafted.
Furniture made from solid wood materials nearly always comes with a higher price compared to options composed of particleboard, MDF, plywood, or with heavy use of veneers, as they are of superior quality.
Wood décor, despite being slightly more expensive, is definitely worth the investment due to its durability and long-lasting nature. With its robust construction, wood furniture guarantees longevity, making it a valuable addition to your home.
3. Wood décor is easily stylish.
Do you fail to notice current trends? Trends can change rapidly, but wooden furniture and decor items tend to remain stylish for a long time. Wooden furniture can be inherited across generations regardless of trends.
No matter if it is a set of wooden coasters with a rustic look, a clock made from a log slice, or a contemporary wooden alarm clock, there is no need to over-analyze any of these items. They are classic, stylish, and can easily blend with any existing home decor. In fact, you could even refer to them by a special term: Vintage.
4. Wood is sustainable.
Wood is abundant and considered a renewable energy resource. It possesses the ability to absorb carbon dioxide, making it a valuable “carbon store.” Consequently, utilizing one meter of wood in construction enables the removal of one ton of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
The advantages of using wood home decor in terms of being environmentally friendly are as follows:
- Renewable, Recyclable, Natural. Timber is one of the few natural, renewable building materials
- Carbon Positive
- Low Energy Production
- Health and Wellbeing
- Fire Performance
- Natural Insulation
5. Wood décor is versatile.
Not only is wood decor visually appealing, but it also serves a practical purpose. Take, for example, a vintage coffee grinder; in addition to its attractive appearance as a tidy tabletop decoration in your kitchen or dining room, it is also capable of grinding coffee beans. Similarly, if you prefer wine, you can enhance your wine bar with a heart-shaped wine rack, adding a delightful decorative element.